Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Beginning of the Alaska Highway and Our Journey To A New Adventure

Here it is!!! Mile "zero" of the Alaska Highway. Built in response to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii in 1941. Constructed in 1942 to establish a secure land transportation link through North America. Beginning at Dawson Creek British Columbia, Canada, this 1528 miles of road took only 8 months to complete.

Starting of the Alaska Highway. A couple of days here in Dawson Creek to take care of the daily living tasks, seeing some sights and then heading North. Brrr--they had snow here on Friday.

Dawson Creek version of Canada's "Royal Canadian Mounted Police" At your service!

2 comments:

  1. Jerri and Norm, your trip will be filled with unforgettable adventures and wonderful lovely memories to last a lifetime. I envy you and will look forward to "traveling" along with you.

    Travel safe, don't feed the bears; see you when the snow falls (again!).

    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    My name is Sheldon Rhodes. I’m working on putting together a new web site about the adventures of driving the Alaska Highway. The site will be a place where people like you will be able to share their pictures and stories for family members and others to enjoy. My wife and I have driven it 7 times and look forward to driving it again in the next couple of years. Back in the days that we drove it most of the pictures we took were slides. Ya, I know, old technology. I really need some pictures for the new site. I see you have driven the highway and have some really great pictures. I would love it if you would be willing to share some of your pictures and stories on the site or at least give me permission to use some of your pictures. I would be happy to link them back to your site. You can contact me at Sheldon.rhodes@gmail.com I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance. Sheldon

    ReplyDelete